Message sent from:

Frequently Asked Questions

Parents and carers often have very similar questions. We have collected some of them below.

Please click a question below to have the answer shown...

  • Can my child wear jewellery?

    For safety reasons we only allow children to wear small stud earrings. These must be removed when doing PE or swimming. If you are going to have your child’s ears pierced, then we recommend that you do this at the start of the summer break so that they are fully healed when your child restarts school. Children may wear a watch. No other type of jewellery is allowed.

  • What do I do if I cannot collect my child after school as normal?

    Please contact school as soon as possible. If the emergency arrangements involve an adult who is not someone who you have told us is permitted to collect your child, staff will not allow your child to go with that adult if they just arrive at the door without school having been contacted. All changes in how your child is collected must go through the Main Office not the class teacher.

  • Can I take my child out of school for a holiday?

    No. The law states that parents do not have the right to take children out of school in term time for a family holiday.  Head teachers may not grant any leave of absence during term time unless there are exceptional circumstances. Penalty notices will be issued to parents who take their child out of school for holidays. These are now £60 per parent, per child, so a family of 4 would be fined £240 which must now be paid within 21 days. Please do not book holidays during term time.

  • What do I do if I want my child to have individual music lessons in school?

    Children can have individual and small group music lessons at school. We arrange with Kirklees Music School for specialist teachers to come to school for your child. Please ask at Main Reception for application forms, or go directly to Kirklees Music School. These lessons are not paid for by the school and are charged to you termly. Their website, which includes an online application form, is http://www.kirkleesmusicschool.org.uk

  • How are children chosen for After School Clubs?

    Members of staff often freely give their time to run After School Clubs for activities that they enjoy. Children can apply for those clubs on forms handed out in class to take home to get permission from parents/carers. Staff often place limits on the numbers of children that can take part so that they can give quality time to the children involved, or for Health and Safety reasons. If clubs are over subscribed, then we try to spread the choices around so that as many children as possible can have a go at something. If children do not take part in a club they have  been allocated, then we will give the place to another child on the waiting list. (Most of our enrichment activities however, take place during Clubtime which is within the school day.)

  • Where do I collect my child from after an After School Club?

    Clubs normally run from 15:15 to 16:15, unless we let you know otherwise. Please collect your child at 16:15 from Main Reception.

  • Can my child wear a Headscarf?

    We pride ourselves on being an inclusive school and so are happy for children to wear a headscarf as a mark of their religion. However we do ask that they meet a number of criteria. Firstly, they must be short and plain so that they do not get caught in obstacles, and secondly we would like them to be in school colours. For Health and Safety reasons they will need to be removed in PE.

  • Does the school organise swimming lessons?

    Year  5 go swimming on a Tuesday. Girls need a swimsuit and boys need trunks (not shorts). Everybody needs a towel, and a swimming cap.  Caps can be purchased from the school office for £1. Swimming is a compulsory part of the National Curriculum for PE.

  • What does my child need for PE?

    Your child needs:

    • A white t-shirt
    • A pair of black / navy shorts or leggings
    • A Pair of pumps/trainers

    If it is indoor PE, it is done in bare feet, but children must have pumps or trainers when doing outdoor PE. For safety reasons teachers will not let children do outdoor PE without suitable footwear.

    On PE days, your child should come to school in full PE kit.

  • How do I pay for dinner money and school visits?

    Any money which needs to be paid to school must be done via ParentPay, our online payment system.  This is simple to set up; contact the office if you need your log-on details.

  • Can my child have dyed hair?

    Children at school cannot have dyed hair, nor can they have temporary ‘tattoos’. We would insist on them being removed. Please keep children’s hairstyles smart and appropriate for school. Elaborate shaved designs are best kept for the summer holidays.

  • Can my child have a mobile phone in school?

    Mobile phones are not allowed in school. If you feel that your child needs a mobile phone for their safety, please speak to Mrs Hampson who will be happy to discuss these procedures with you.

  • How do I know if school is closed due to snow?

    If it snows and a decision is made to close the school, you will send an alert on the morning of the closure via Piota and email. Please ensure that school has an up to date contact details for you. You can also check the school website and the Kirklees website: http://www.kirklees.gov.uk/beta/announcements/disruptions-closures-and-weather/default.aspx.

    If you do not receive a text or alert, school is OPEN.

  • What do I do if my child needs medicine during school hours?

    School does not administer medicines to children. If your child needs medication, please try to arrange the doses around the school day, for example, morning, after school and bedtime. If a lunchtime dose is unavoidable (e.g. if 4 daily doses are required), then school will administer medication which has been prescribed and is clearly labelled.

  • Do you run a breakfast club?

    Yes we do. It runs from 8.00 to 8:30 every day supported by the Huddersfield Town Foundation, therefore there is no cost at all. Children get a range of breakfasts and choice of activities. No prior arrangements are needed.

  • Can my child get halal food for school lunch?

    There is suitable food every lunchtime, either with halal meat or vegetarian food. There are also regular items like baked potatoes with a variety of toppings.

  • Where do I collect my child from after school?

    Key Stage 1 children are collected from the front playground, Key Stage 2 children from the back, and are handed over by the class teacher.  If someone different is due to pick up your child, please can you inform the teacher or classroom assistant.

  • Can my child get milk and fruit in school?

    Milk can be ordered by all children in Key Stage 1, if parents wish to organise this they just go to the following website www.freshpastures.co.uk/school-milk-home.php.

    If your child is under 5 years old or they are eligible for free school meals and would like milk, please speak to the school office and they will organise this for you.

    The fruit is provided to all Early Years and KS1 children.

  • What do I do if I think my child is being bullied?

    We take bullying very seriously and have very robust procedures for dealing with it. However, if you do have concerns please discuss this with your child’s teacher in the first instance.

  • If my child has a pre-school place, do they automatically have a place in Reception?

    No. You have to apply for a place in Reception using the local authority’s normal application procedures.

  • What is Golden Time?

    Golden Time is an opportunity for pupils to freely choose activities as a reward for effort and behaviour through the week.

  • Why am I asked to pay for School Visits?

    School visits support your child’s learning in class and as such are an important part of their education. School subsidises every visit but unfortunately we cannot afford to pay the entire cost for each child. We ask for a contribution from parents towards the cost of the coach. Please ask at the office if you need help in paying for educational visits.

  • What do I do if my child cannot do PE for medical reasons?

    Can a parent or carer please give a note to your child’s teacher explaining what the circumstances are.

  • Where can I buy uniform for my child?

    There are 4 outlets that sell school uniform for Park Road JI&N School. These are:

    • Rawcliffe’s Uniforms and Staffwear, 18a Crackenedge Lane, Dewsbury.
    • The Uniform Centre, 1-3 Cheapside, Bradford Rd, Batley.
    • Natasha Schoolwear, 44 Northgate Dewsbury.
    • TESCO Direct
  • How do I change school during the school year?

    Kirklees Council explain this very well on their website http://www.kirklees.gov.uk/community/education-learning/admissions/admissionduringyear.shtml. You have to fill an In-Year Common Application Form (ICAF) form in and give it to your current Kirklees School.

Hit enter to search